- Riding a bike is still fun.
- Wearing plaid is fine for other people.
- A clear desktop is essential to a clear mind.
- Deep-fried oysters are a sometimes food.
- When the coffee’s bad I tend to keep drinking it, so stop already.
- Eating popcorn is wonderful but hard on the teeth.
- The day that I don’t want to exercise is the day I must.
- There’s an important difference between present/perfect and present/progressive.
- Julia Childs is right about butter.
- It’s a lot of work to have fun (e.g. camping) but do it anyway.
- The second glass of wine is never as good as the first glass.
- When I’m feeling down I should either a) vacuum or b) clean the kitchen counters.
- If a show is worth watching once, it’s worth watching twice.
- If something isn’t worth watching, just stop.
- Life is too short to spend it pleasing other people.
- I will get cranky in hot weather. Plan accordingly.
- It’s important to close the loop.
- My favorite tense for the verb “to write”? is “I have written.” The way to the perfect tense is through the progressive tense.
- Eating a bowl of grits for breakfast is the first step to a happy day.
- Mark Twain is right about most things.
- It’s okay that I don’t like other people’s dogs.
- Beware of buying multi-packs or sets of anything.
- Do the dishes immediately, with the people who ate the meal.
- Juice glasses are worth the cupboard space.
- Always carry sunglasses.
- Peppermints make sermons seem shorter.
- A medium heel gives the best arch support.
- Don’t hang onto books. If they’re good, pass them on. If they’re not, give them away.
- It is never safe to buy M&Ms.
- A V-neck may be flattering but I don’t have to wear them.
- Stephen King is right about adverbs.
- I’m the mother, so my mood sets the tone for the family. Deal with it.
- If I don’t write the book, Oprah will never interview me about it.
- It’s okay to admit I enjoy buying groceries.
- Always have an extra ink cartridge on hand.
- It’s easier to clean my husband’s closet than my own.
- Buy the better quality sox.
- Sisters are special even when they’re a pain in the neck.
- It’s not a good idea to buy aspirational? clothes.
- Having people over for dinner twice a month is about right.
- Playing music while cooking is almost as good as drinking wine while cooking.
- The best part about being a preacher is living with next week’s text in your head. It is possible to do this without being a preacher.
- Non-stick frying pans need to be replaced more often than you think.
- Twinkle lights are good year-round.
- It’s very helpful if I can notice when I’m feeling defensive.
- If I ever live in Minnesota again I need to have an attached garage. Alternatively, I could never live in Minnesota again.
- McDonald’s soft-serve is my favorite treat. There, I said it.
- Always carry purse-pack Kleenex.
- When I’m feeling weighed down, I should get rid of some clutter.
- Cheap shoes are a bad idea but cheap purses can be very cute.
- It takes effort to read, so make the effort.
- Turkey or Tuscany? Alaska or Australia? Keep dreaming.
- I still haven’t found what I’m looking for. And that’s okay.
terrific list, ruth!
i have to play music while cooking, too.
Thanks Patti. And both wine and music while cooking is the best, right?